Senior and Junior Fellowships
Junior and Senior Fellowships are awards to renowned scientists who work at research institutions abroad. They will carry out a research project in close cooperation with researchers in Bayreuth. The Fellowships are meant to establish and strengthen structural and individual ties to researchers at the University of Bayreuth.
The awards are presented once a year as the result of a competitive selection process. The selection is strictly merit-based and the selection criteria are the academic excellence of both the applicant and the cooperative project.
- All Fellows spend typically three to six months of cooperative research at the University of Bayreuth together with their host(s). The research stay can be divided into several stages.
- We advise researchers who have completed their PhD and have up to four years of post-doctoral experience to apply for Junior Fellowships. We expect applicants with a minimum of eight years of post-doctoral experience or a tenured professorship or an equivalent permanent position to apply for Senior Fellowships. Researchers between four and eight years of post-doctoral experience can apply for a Junior or a Senior Fellowship.
- The Senior Fellowship value totals €50,000. Fellows may use the awarded amount to cover costs in the context of the collaborative research project. Candidates need to submit a budget plan with their application.
- Senior Fellows may use part of the award to include junior researchers from their research group in the cooperative research project.
- The Junior Fellowship totals €30,000. Fellows may use the awarded amount to cover costs in the context of the collaborative research project. Candidates need to submit a budget plan with their application.
- For the duration of their stay, the host of a Fellow receives a monthly subsidy of €500 in the humanities and social sciences, and €800 in the natural sciences and engineering to compensate local costs.
En Route to Your Fellowship:
For current announcements and further information please see our Calls for Applications.